Raglan Sweater in the Round
The information that follows is not intended to be a pattern.
Rather, it is general information.
All the ribbing and the Back Loop/Front Loop Single Crochet that
was used for this sweater will be found at Ribbing and scroll down to
- Chain 6, sc in 2nd chain and each chain to end.Chain
- Work back loop only sc until ribbing is long enough, then slip
stitch the ends together. Chain 1, turn sidewise.
- Sc in end of each row.
- Insert hook in to the first sc, pull loop through the stitch
and through the loop on the hook. [join with a slip stitch], chain
1 and turn. [alternate rows will be worked from the right side of
the fabric, alternate rows from the wrong side.] work around the
row, but DO NOT sc in what looks like the last stitch. Join with
slip stitch, chain 1, turn, continue.
Back Loop/Front Loop Single Crochet was used for this project. It
would be easier, for a first attempt, to use single crochet.
Increases for the sleeves are worked at the beginning and end of
The sleeves were worked to the underarm first, then the body was
worked to the underarm.
At this point, the sleeves were added to the body.
Place markers at the join of sleeve and body.
The slip stitch join of row ends will be at the center back of the
sweater -and this may cause a slight problem because the join is
noticeable. If the sweater will be worn under a shirt or jacket,
then there is no problem but the visible join up the center of the
back could be considered "geeky".
Decreases for the raglan shaping will be done just before and just
after the markers on alternate rows.
Return to Top of Page
I am using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet
- Working from the wrong -inside- side of sweater.
- Join yarn in center back of neck.(slip stitch, chain 1, sc) all
in same stitch.
- Sc around neck, slip stitch join to first sc.
- Ch 6
- Sc in 2nd chain and next 4, and slip stitch in first 2 sts of
- Row 1. NO CHAIN, Turn. Sc in each sc on ribbing.
- Row 2. Chain 1, Turn. Sc in each sc of ribbing and slip stitch
in next 2 sts of foundation row.
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 around.
- The last row will slipstitch the ends of the ribbing together
and fasten off.
Click on the button to learn more about this really cool