Cotton Tote Bag
An excellent project for a beginner
Done in the round in Single Crochet
Return to Top of Page
I am using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet
Materials: 300 grams of Bernat Handicrafter
cotton or similar yarn
Tension is 16 sts and 16 rows = 4 inches but that's not important
for this project.
Work with one strand of yarn. Place marker or piece of yarn at
beginning of each row. Work succeeding rounds spiral-fashion
- Ch. 5,join with sl st to form ring
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 10 sc in ring
- Rnd 2 to 16: 1 sc in each sc, inc 6 sc evenly on ea rnd. 100 sc
now in round at end in rnd 16
TO SHAPE SIDES:
- Rnds 17 to 47: 1 sc in ea sc
- Rnd 48:(Sc2tog, 1 sc in ea of next 8 sc) 10 times. 90 sc now in
TO SHAPE ONE SIDE OF HANDLE:
- Ch 1, Turn
- **Row 1:(1 sc in each sc) 31 times, Ch 1, turn
- Row 2: Skip first st of prev row, then work 1 sc in each sc. Ch
- Rep Row 2 until 8 sc rem in row
- Continue even until handle from beg meas 35.5 cm (14 inches)**
TO SHAPE SECOND SIDE OF HANDLE:
- With right side facing, join yarn to 14th st from
left-hand edge of first handle, then work from ** to ** once.
- With right side facing, sl st second handle to first.
Join to both lps of any sc on handle edge, 1 sc in each sc, sl st
to first sc. Fasten off.
Repeat for rem bag and handle edges. Weave in ends on wrong side of
Closure for Tote Bag
- Tote Bag
- More Yarn
- Yarn needle
- 6 - 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch rings
- 1 metre of colored cord
- **Working 1 row below top edge, using yarn needle, loop yarn
around post of 8th stitch
from left side of handle and next 12 sts.(same technique as sewing
- Fasten yarn in first loop, ch 1, sc in first loop and each loop
across, ch 1, turn
- *Skip 1st st, sc across to last 2 sts. Skip next sc, sc in last
sc. Ch 1, turn
- Rep from * until 3 sc remain. Ch 1, turn
- Last RowJust sc in last sc and finish off.
- Skip next 2 sc on base row.**
- Repeat from ** to ** 5 more times (6 triangles made) Do not
finish off triangle
- Ch 1, sc in top of triangle, sc in end of each row and in 2 sc
of base row all around.
Sl st in first sc at top of triangle 6. Finish off.
- Sew ring on point of each triangle.
- Thread cord through the rings.
- Knot each end so the cord doesn't fall out. Use it to tie the
Click on the button to learn more about this really cool